Friday, October 3, 2014

A Little Walk With Gracie and Sissy

Good Morning
It was a lovely day at the "old" Refuge yesterday.  
You will remember that two of our new little mini donkeys, Gracie and Sissy, were attacked by a cougar earlier this year and, after a lot of wonderful veterinarian care, came to us - their new forever home.  They are sweet girls but are very timid.  It took them quite a few days to become comfortable with their new herd mates but they are feeling a bit braver now.
Scars on Gracie from cougar attack
Yesterday I went to visit Bessie, a mammoth donkey in the Special Needs herd and take her for a walk.  With permission I also was able to spend time with Gracie and Sissy.  We have to be very careful that we don't frighten them so I didn't rush them.  I played with the "Group of Seven" - the new minis from Alberta, then approached Gracie and Sissy.  As soon as they saw the halters and lead ropes they were off.  I got my exercise walking calmly behind them until I think they realized that I wasn't going to hurt them, and I wasn't going away.
Sissy and I walked to the Refuge gates and back.  She was very good and I quickly discovered that she likes to walk to the right of her walk partner. What a nice girl she is and very pretty with her dark colored nose.
Gracie was more hesitant and not so sure she wanted to leave the security of her new paddock but once we got outside the fences she was good to go. We didn't walk as far but it was lovely. She likes to walk to the left.
I can't imagine how painful and frightening it was to be chased and attacked by a cougar.  I am so happy that they survived and are now with us.  The scars on Gracie's back end will be a constant reminder to us of what a donkey can endure.  With patience and love we can heal the scars on her heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment