Friday, March 8, 2013

Excerpt from March eBRAY - our members only monthly e-newsletter


Lillie and Hanna off for walk last winter

Each month, members of the Turtle Valley Donkey Refuge receive an e-newsletter which keeps them up to date on what's happening at the Refuge.  Last Saturday was our AGM so the motions referred to come from that meeting.  The "I" that I refer to is none other than yours truly.
 
DONKEY TALK
One of the motions that was initiated from the floor and carried at the AGM granted the Board the authority to award Honorary Memberships. I am humbled to say that I was suggested as a possible recipient, and to the lovely lady that put my name forward I say an enthusiastic "Back at Ya!".  There are so many ways to support the Donkey Refuge -  monetary donations, donation of time, skills and expertise, purchasing in the Shoppe, attendance at events and even sharing information about the Refuge.

I am so grateful to have the responsibility of publishing eBRAY because it gives me the opportunity to thank our members for their support. We are such an amazing group of individuals, aren't we? We have an interesting task - to promote and support the rescue and rehabilitation of creatures that are have been misrepresented and mistreated through the centuries.

Until I attended Donkey Days in 2011, I had never touched or seen a donkey but once that happened, for me there was no turning back. I am so grateful to Shirley and Rob for recognizing the need to save these beautiful creatures and to bring attention to their plight. I wish to thank them for letting me be a part of this challenging journey and as a self-described donkey nut I pledge my continued support. For me, just being a part of all of this is an honor.

For anyone that has ever done a very good job at something, you know that the result is often a double-edged sword. For us, it has been no different. Our success in bringing attention to the sad, sad situation for many donkeys in western Canada has had two major results:
- Donations of money, time and effort is increasing, allowing us to care for the donkeys that have come to spend the balance of their lives in the safety of a healthy, caring environment.
-Awareness of the chance to give donkeys a better quality of life has dramatically increased the number of requests for donkeys to be relocated to our care.

So........We are about to embark on our next adventure. We must move to a new farm. We must go big or go home. And we have decided to GO BIG. We need to attract $1 million NEW dollars to pay for a new farm.   Why NEW dollars? It has been my experience that well-meaning supporters will divert their donations that fund critical daily operations to the new project. Therefore our challenge is to preserve and grow the funding for our increasing daily operational needs AND to encourage current and potential donors to assist us in purchasing the new farm. Climb On Board - this next adventure is going to be a wild ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment