Friday, June 15, 2012

MORE ON DONKEY ROPING AND ABUSE IN GENERAL

I still have my shirt in a knot about the donkey roping rodeo business, and how someone could call that a sport.  Don't even get me started on rodeos in general or chuck wagon racing. Having said that, my focus is on what we do at the Refuge to rescue and rehabilitate these gentle creatures that suffer in silence as they are abused and neglected, or are no longer wanted.
I asked Shirley "What Do We Do?" and this was her reply (edited a bit as she is as fired up as I am):

What do we do.
We educate. We explain better what a roping donkey is, or how they use a donkey to haul (unthin) tourists up the mountains in Greece, or the donkey that they use in a celebration in I think Greece again, that carries the (heaviest) person in the Village through an obstacle course and gets beaten along the way by the villagers.
It is about respect. The world does not respect donkeys and hasn't for thousands of years. We may someday want to consider putting a bit of an education sectional somewhere on what a roping donkey is. Now we understand why Farrah was so head shy and hated men including Rob for two years after she arrived. I can't even image the conditions the donkeys live in.
Maybe we should be putting more effort on showing people what these donkeys have gone through to reach the state of being designated abused.
A very good lesson here.
Unfortunately these type of things alter my respect for humanity in general.


I have inserted a picture here that may be upsetting but it is time to be more forthcoming about what is going on out there with regard to animal abuse instead of being concerned that the information or photos may make someone's tummy upset.

And this donkey is one of the "lucky" ones that survived.  These roping donkeys are roped around the neck and lower hind legs and stretched until they fall down.  The result (other than me regurgitating my supper) is broken bones, injuries like you see in this picture, and death.

Go to the link posted on Donkey Sanctuary to see more information on this cruelty and take a moment to express your disgust.

Next posting will be more pleasant, I promise!

1 comment:

  1. I could not agree with you more. I can't stand the abuse of animals for entertainment, it really makes my blood boil. As far as it being a sport, I can without a doubt say it's not, regardless of classification. Education is indeed the best medicine, I've been working with a local donkey charity to get the word out and inform the public as to what's really going on!

    That picture you added was horrendous, it hurt me to even look at it. Although, I think it takes something like to really make you understand the gravity of the situation at hand. These animals are not just being mistreated but hurt badly. I also want to say that I love what you guys are doing and keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete