Wednesday, November 12, 2014

MITCH AND ELF FEELING A LITTLE "PUNKY"

Yesterday was not an official Quality Time Volunteer day but I was able to take a few precious moments to visit the mini herd. They look so adorable with their fuzzy winter coats.  It is hard to recognize them individually as they look so different in their fancy winter attire.

I knew from Shirley and Rob that little Mitchie, Elf and Margherita were feeling under the weather. Rob had called the vet out on Saturday to see if he could figure out what has them feeling under the weather. Gord checked temperatures, belly sounds, eyes, ears, noses and throats and everything was "normal".  He took some donkey nuggets with him to check for worms and nope - no worms. He did some bloodwork - and we are awaiting the results.  It is a mystery on what the problem is to help us zero in on what's upsetting them or how to help them get better.

After a quick visit with the fuzzies in the paddock, I headed into the barn where Rob has Mitch, Elf and Margherita as it is a warmer in there and he wanted to give them some alone time while we figure out what is happening.

When donkeys aren't feeling well they isolate themselves from the herd - perhaps to be alone while their bodies work their way back to health or perhaps it is a natural instinct to protect the herd from whatever is ailing them. They also lie down - right out flat - which is a scary thing to see when you know they aren't feeling well.

When I entered the barn, Margherita was standing, munching on fresh shavings and Elf was lying down but with her head up. Mitch, on the other hand, was flat out in the shavings facing away from me. I immediately got a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach and momentarily hesitated before I approached him.  As I got close to him I hoped he would pop his head up and stand up like he normally would but he didn't move.  Not at all. I called his name and nothing.  I walked around to where he could see me, hoping that he could see me.  Still nothing. I kneeled down and patted him and he finally moved.  I said a silent prayer of thanks and patted him some more.  He lifted his head and then stood up.  Holy moly that was scary for a moment!

We visited for a while and I also gave Margherita and Elf some scritches and hugs. I told Mitch and Elf that they looked very lovely in the donkey coats that Rob had put on them to keep them extra warm.  If Margherita still feels "punky" as Shirley calls it, she will also get an extra coat. Then I headed off to let Rob know what had happened. Rob has Jay coming out today to have a look and hopes that he might have suggestions on how to make them feel better, sooner.

Later that afternoon, all three were out in the paddock getting some fresh air and exercise.  I hope they are feeling much better today.  They need to rest but they also need to move about to keep everything else working properly while they heal.

I tend to compare what the donkeys do in any given situation with what I as a human would do.  I am impressed that they remove themselves from the other herd members while they work through the illness, regardless of why they do it.  How many times have I gone to work, or been in a social situation, when I am not feeling great?  How many times have I "shared" my germs rather than miss out on a good time or to meet a deadline?  Do I listen to my body when it clearly says "Lie down - you need to rest"?  Seldom. 

Donkeys Are So Smart - They Listen To Their Bodies. 
(Then they eat the wooden fence posts - huh?) 
 Gotta Luv 'Em.

No comments:

Post a Comment