Friday, November 9, 2012

Mikey and Jenny


Mikey
Good Morning, Donkey Fans...My apologies....It has been a while since I put finger to iPad screen. I must admit that I went through a bit of donkey withdrawal while out in Nova Scotia last week. My heart goes out to everyone back East that was affected by Hurricane Sandy. In Bridgewater, we had strong winds and lots of heavy rain but were not subjected to the devastating experiences of our American neighbors. We were so lucky.

Well, it has finally happened. While I was away, the donkeys grew hair, changed color and I think some of the boys may have become girls. That, added to the huge influx of donkeys this past few months, has gotten me a little confused. Ah, a challenge. Love it!
Jenny
Our newest boy, Mikey, looks exactly like Jenny and we believe that they may be mother and son as they are both originally from right here in Turtle Valley. Even Jenny's human mommy initially mistook Mikey for Jenny. I have watched Mikey and Jenny together in the paddock and I believe that they know one another. It would be wonderful if they bond as everyone needs a friend, especially a donkey.

When our donkeys arrive as a pair, they already have a friend, and it seems easier for them to become part of a herd if they have someone "watching their back". Annie and Socrates, although segregated initially to get them on the mountain exercise weight-loss program and to diagnose Socrates' illness, have become members of the special needs herd with no problems. Margherita and Hilda, and Kaatje and Gerrit have also found their places in the mini herd with minor dust-ups.

Our single intakes are not as fortunate. Jorge seems to have finally settled in with the mini herd after many confrontations with the stronger males - both mini and standard sized. Sweet Rosie has moved in with the standards and is doing very well. Our poor George is still isolated from his future herd as he is just too hot headed and studdy at this time. We will continue to work with him until we can move him into a herd.

Back to my challenge. It is difficult enough to tell some of our donkeys apart in the summer when their coats are short and any distinguishing marks are more evident. Add their long winter coats to the mix and it gets interesting. Hilda looks like Bea, Annie looks like Lady Bug, Socrates looks like Jack, Rosie looks like Farrah, Jorge looks like Hoss. As Shirley often says, "Oh My!" Thank goodness for Margherita. There is no mistaking her for anyone else.

On another note, our "Hope For Chance" book sales are going really well. I believe we are up to about 100 books sold. I am going to have a table at the St. Ann's Academy in Kamloops on November 28th and will sell the books there. As well, the 24th is CHRISTMAS PARADE day in Kamloops and our sweetie pies, Margherita and Hilda, will be on The Horse Barn float. I predict that they are going to steal the show. After the parade they will be available for pats at The Horse Barn. I think sponsorship packages will be available from Rob at that time, as well as the story book about one of our very special donkeys.

Well, today is a catch-up day for me and tomorrow I am off to the Refuge with a primary goal of figuring out which donkey is which without having to bend down and check their bits and parts. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment